*Our survey indicated that some culverts were not draining properly (for road systems), and that most were not able to support the flow of micro-ecosystems. The result was not necessarily a repair of any specific culverts, but rather the creation of a digital infrastructure for checking culvert status: now vtculverts.org
What if boundaries were determined by water basins?
Under our roads there is not only electrical cables, fibers, plumbing, and “human activated” infrastructure. There is also infrastructure for watersheds : Culverts – design for aquatic organism passageways (wildlife crossing vs. efficiency)
CULVERT CLEANERS + INSPECTORS
SIGNAGE? Flood dangers
*Debris, narratives, material and processes that Western ideas of progress and development have discarded and left behind. What if it was not all about progress, novelty, invention and technological development?
What if we instead direct our attention towards processes of decay, erosion, breakdown and mouldering? What kind of practices and making does that invite for? What stories would we then be able to tell?
“Tied US Supreme Court decision means Washington must remove barriers to salmon migration” – https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/tied-u-s-supreme-court-decision-means-washington-must-remove-barriers-to-salmon-migration/
*The gist is that all state transportation agency’s main concerns are for the maintenance of culverts as drainage systems, not animal migration systems. Washington vs. US is a huge deal, not only honoring decades old treaties and land rights, but to attempt to restore king salmon migrations.
Examples of modifying barriers to wildlife crossings:
A few goals, areas of interests, and questions for this project:
- Information about the WikiMedia commons.
- To tell the story of my own experience surveying and visiting hundreds of these culverts, and my descriptions of interacting with farmers, land owners, town officials, and other scientists.
- Think about the design strategy history of these under-road passageways, how it has changed and is changing still.
- Mechanics of marketing strategies and the linkage between science, environment, and art.
- Focus on the language used in archaeology, ecology, anthropology, and art.
- Concepts of bioregionalism, adaptive management, salvage accumulation (Tsing), and restoration.
NYC Aqueduct Restoration Project
SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION
COI Editing on Wikipedia
Commodity- like what Anna Tsing refers to Matsutake mushrooms, when commodity become smooth-objects, is that what is happening with these images online? Starting from a happening/experience, and uploaded online as a performative act. Are images that citizens taking becoming commodities, once a capitalist figures out a “guerilla” marketing strategy to “translate” them to the market?
List of locked wikipedia pages: